The Ancient Gatehouse Hotel incorporates the Great West Gate which dates back to at least 1473, part of the original city wall which would once have completely encircled the city, cathedral and palace.
Its use as a hotel can be traced back to the 17th century when it was known as the Mitre Hotel between 1660 and 1744. Since then it appears in historic documents as follows:
1881 and 1891 (Proprietor Sarah Fry)
1914 The Gate House Tea Rooms (Proprietor Miss HL Banken)
1930’s Gate House Hotel (Proprietor Mrs EW Parrott)
1960's Ancient Gatehouse Hotel (Proprietor GA McGregor )
1970’s Ancient Gatehouse Hotel (Proprietor Mrs OJ Hyland)
1975 to present day the Rossi family of Wells.